The World According To Bob

Bob Allen is a philosopher and cyber libertarian. He advocates for the basic human rights of men. Bob has learned to cut through the political nonsense, the propaganda hate, the surface discourse, and talk about the underlying metamessage that the front is hiding. Bob tells it like it is and lets the chips fall where they may. If you like what you read be sure to bookmark this blog and share it with your friends.

Name:
Location: United States

You can't make wrong into right by doing wrong more effectively. It's time for real MEN to stand up and take back our families, our society, and our self respect. It is not a crime to be born a man. It is not a crime to act manly.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Product advisory

Bob likes to report on businesses that are exceptionally good, or exceptionally bad. Today's entry concerns a product that has stooped to deceptive labeling and fraudulent pricing.

I've been using Roundup brand weed killer on thistles and other weeds. It works pretty well. Spray it today and by tomorrow the plant is toast. I switched from the pre-mixed to the concentrate because I ran out of the pre-mix and had been using quite a bit. First I used half a jar of pre-mix that I have had for a couple of years. Reading label directions I had enough to mix two gallons of spray. I spent three hours in the yard spraying weeds and the next day they were as healthy as ever. I thought maybe the old jar of concentrate had deteriorated. So I went to Home Depot and was reading labels when the garden guy came over and suggested the "Concentrate Plus." A quart of Concentrate Plus costs twice as much as a gallon of pre-mix, over $20, but is supposed to make 5 gallons of spray. Well that sounded good, no point in paying for packaging and shipping for 96% water. So I bought the Concentrate Plus, went home, mixed it according to directions, and spent two more hours spraying weeds.

BUT!!! The concentrate didn't kill the thistles or all the other weeds! I followed the directions mixing 6oz per gallon of water. I applied it just like I had been doing with the pre-mix. It's been 6 days and two sprayings and the thistles are starting to look brown in places. Many of them look like they are going to survive.

So I compared labels and did the math. The premix is 2% active ingredients or 2.56 oz of active ingredient per gallon. The Concentrate Plus is 18% active ingredient. At 6 oz per gallon, mixed per directions, that is only 1oz active ingredient per gallon. To be equal to the pre-mixed I would have to put in a whole pint of Concentrate Plus per gallon. No wonder it doesn't work as well. Instead of making 5 equivalent gallons, the Concentrate Plus will only make 2 equivalent gallons of ready to spray weed killer. The product isn't worth crap. It's a waste of time and money, and it's damn expensive for a home use product. If you buy any of their Roundup crap, be careful to read the fine print and do the math. You need about 2.5 oz of active ingredient per gallon to kill your weeds. That would take 6oz of a 40% concentrate per gallon, or 16oz, a pint, of 18% concentrate. Do the math at your store. The pre-mix might just be cheaper.

I feel like I've been cheated when buying the Roundup Concentrate Plus thinking that it would make 5 equivalent gallons but it only makes 2 equivalent gallons or 5 of very diluted spray that doesn't work. I sent them a message from their web site telling them that I feel cheated by their deceptive labeling, and defrauded by the pricing based on false labels. I also am pissed because of all the time and effort I've wasted trying to kill weeds with overly diluted spray that doesn't work. 100 degrees in the shade last week and there I was out wasting my time in the heat. Pisses me off!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RoundUp Concentrate Plus worked great for me.

July 30, 2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger nevo said...

Here in England the prisons are almost full. In a few weeks time there will not be anymore beds for the next generation of prisoners.
and guess what! all the missfits and nutters and robbers and violent rapers grew up in divorced families. Some with freaks stepfathers or abusive alcoholic mothers.
Now the goverment solution is to build even more prisons at a staggering cost to the taxpayer. Not only to build it but also to maintain the prisoners fed and in good health. Each prisoner could cost up to £200 a week to keep them locked up.
All paid for by the sheepish taxpayer.
Restoring the father authoroty will be, no doubt, the best financial option to this aberration.
Because to keep such a large and increasing prison population is a total aberration

NEVO

July 31, 2006 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you build it they will come.

August 01, 2006 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed the exact same thing. I used to do landscaping and RoundUp always worked great. That was ten years ago. This year I had to spray two or three times before it had any effect, and it still took a week or more to really kill everything off. I hadn't even thought of comparing the ingredients in the concentrate to those in the pre-mix.

August 02, 2006 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home